2/27/12

RIP - Jan Berenstain

 I opened my FB today and read this story. It sadden me yet, equally inspired me. 
Jan Berenstain has passed away and I fee she deserves a blog post and some thoughtfulness into what her her husbands books + illustrations have done for me in those, oh-so-important, younger years!

I have very fond memories of 'The Berenstain Bears', their tree and all the little life lessons I learned growing up - most importantly - how to share with my sisters! Those books are still around, my brothers have read them and my niece is next in line. As an artist who wants to work in children's book illustration, I find books such as the Berenstain Bears to not only be great ways to teach children valuable lessons but also awesome ways of visually conveying these messages too.  There is a stylistic subtlety to the line work in every illustration which makes it the Berenstains own creation. I love the cover of "The Problem With Money" as well as "No Girls Allowed" and "The Spooky Old Tree". 


As a child I would walk into my elementary classroom to see a pile of red colored newsprint on my teachers desk and become ecstatic! It was one of my favorite days, I LOVED choosing a new book. Though always a tough decision, made tougher by only being allowed to choose one book {I was the oldest of 3 at the time}. 


I recall after much time was spent reading titles and inspecting all the illustrations, I would settle on a book and impatiently await its arrival. In my younger years, Little Critter, The Berenstain Bears, Dr. Seuss/Theo Leseig + Serendipity books were my top choices! 

 

Here are a few of my favorite Berenstain books! 
{And after looking at my list, so much makes sense!} 
Bears in the Night
The Spooky Old Tree 
Afraid of the Dark 
Too Much Junk Food 









For anyone with children in their lives... I highly recommend these books ^__^ 
Thank you to all the writers and illustrators of my childhood - you all have left a part of you I will eventually leave to others as well <3


From EW.com 

Jan Berenstain, co-creator of 'The Berenstain Bears,' has died

Filed under: Books and tagged: 
Jan-Berenstain
Image Credit: Mel Evans/AP
Jan Berenstain, who wrote and illustrated the beloved Berenstain Bears books with her husband Stan, has died at age 88. She suffered a stroke on Thursday and died on Friday, according to her son Mike Berenstain.
Stan and Jan met on their first day of art school in 1941 when they were both just 18 years old. They published their first Berenstain Bears book, The Big Honey Hunt, in 1962; since then, more than 300 Berenstain books have been published in more than 23 languages. After Stan Berenstain died in 2005 at the age of 82, Mike Berenstain has collaborated with his mother on more recent titles, some of which have covered modern issues like online safety. “Every day she was very productive,” Mike Berenstain told the Associated Press. “She was working on two books and had been doing illustrations until the day before she passed away.”
Inspired by the Berenstain children, and later, the grandchildren, the Berenstain Bears books followed the adventures of Mama Bear, Papa Bear, Brother Bear, and Sister Bear. More than 260 million copies have been printed.

No comments: